Do these questions apply to you?
- Do you often think about calories, fat grams or food “values”?
- Do you avoid certain foods, only to overeat those very foods at a later time?
- Do you distrust your body and its cues?
- Do you feel guilt after eating a food “off” your diet?
- Is exercise/movement another “have to”?
- Are you frustrated with the diet/deprivation approach, but don’t see another possibility?
- Do you yo-yo diet, only to “fail” each time?
- Are you dissatisfied with your body or weight much of the time?
- Do you believe you will never be done dieting?
The Hungerwise Program is designed to help you undo the diet “brainwashing” that sabotages your efforts toward long –term change. Hungerwise will help you learn to recognize your body’s unique needs, get unstuck from old patterns, and let go of food and weight obsession.
Hungerwise and Binge Eating
Some people who struggle with histories of weight gains and losses may also be dealing with binge eating, which may be associated with Binge Eating Disorder (BED). BED is characterized by the following:
- Recurrent episodes of binge eating occurring at least once a week for three months
- Eating a larger amount of food than normal during a short time frame (any two-hour period)
- Lack of control over eating during the binge episode (feeling you can’t stop eating or control what or how much you are eating)
Additionally, binge eating episodes are associated with three or more of the following:
- Eating until feeling uncomfortably full
- Eating large amounts of food when not physically hungry
- Eating much more rapidly than normal
- Eating alone out of embarrassment over quantity eaten
- Feeling disgusted, depressed, ashamed, or guilty after overeating
BED typically requires more comprehensive intervention, but Hungerwise can be a very helpful component to an overall treatment plan. The Center for Eating Disorders offers a treatment program specifically for the treatment of BED called Bodywise. Please call us for an evaluation or visit our site for more information.